Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdobs

Potting medium and pot size for new Japanses Maple?

bdobs
9 years ago

Hi guys, I started a similar thread to this in the Maples forum, but I figure I'd get better info from this forum as this is a container specific question.
I recently bought these two new guys pictured below. They are Tamukeyama japanese Maples
I am wondering about the proper mix I should use for their final home and if I shoudl pot them directly up to the large half wine barrels, pot them up to a larger size plastic pot and sit in the barrels before a final pot up to the barrels? Or leave them in nursery pot they came in for a while?

Oh, I should add that this is the North side of my house and they really don't get any direct sunlight, just bright indirect less a little in the early morning

Been reading about Al's mixes, is gritty my best choice? 5-1-1? or something else.

The lady at the garden center said just use 1/2 acid mix and 1/2 potting soil.

ANother thing to consider is I have them on drip type irrigation which is on the same zone as my small front lawn sprinklers ao I would assume I need a rather quick draining mix as they will receive a lot of water being timed with the lawn.

Thanks!!
Brian

Comments (3)