Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting medium and pot size for new Japanses Maple?

Posted by bdobs 8b or 9 SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 14:54

Hi guys, I started a similar thread to this in the Maples forum, but I figure I'd get better info from this forum as this is a container specific question.
I recently bought these two new guys pictured below. They are Tamukeyama japanese Maples
I am wondering about the proper mix I should use for their final home and if I shoudl pot them directly up to the large half wine barrels, pot them up to a larger size plastic pot and sit in the barrels before a final pot up to the barrels? Or leave them in nursery pot they came in for a while?

Oh, I should add that this is the North side of my house and they really don't get any direct sunlight, just bright indirect less a little in the early morning

Been reading about Al's mixes, is gritty my best choice? 5-1-1? or something else.

The lady at the garden center said just use 1/2 acid mix and 1/2 potting soil.

ANother thing to consider is I have them on drip type irrigation which is on the same zone as my small front lawn sprinklers ao I would assume I need a rather quick draining mix as they will receive a lot of water being timed with the lawn.

Thanks!!
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting medium and pot size for new Japanses Maple?

Have you seen this? Really a lot on soil for japanese maples:

Planting and Care Guide For Japanese Maples

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 19:43

That link has a lot of good info.

I will add that trees in containers from retail nurseries are notorious for being pot bound. You won't want to keep them in their nursery pots for long. You will also want to make sure the root flare isn't buried as is often the case with container trees. That said, keeping them in the nursery containers for a week or two while getting the proper container medium ingredients isn't going to change anything. Unless they came directly fom the wholesaler, they have probably been in those pots for a while.

o

I put all my maples into a gritty sort of 5-1-1. It is the perfect mix....start with bark, add perlite, then add a quality potting mix (or peat). I also like some Turface or lava rock mixed in. With maples, I don't typically add Lime....just some Osmocote, and then liquid fertilizer throughout the year. You will be quite happy with a bark-based mix.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here