Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muniequita

Pachira' black spots in trunk

muniequita
9 years ago

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to gardening :)
English is not my mother tongue, sorry for any mistake.

I have had this Pachira for 6 months and she has this black spots. I repotted yesterday, I looked for worms or other stuff and I didn't see anything. I washed her with a cloth with soap and water. I used later a fungicide.

The roots were rooten, I found just two nice ones.

Right now is in the garage. I am scared she is going to infest my other small plants.

The last pot where she was didn't have a very good drainage. I reppoted in a smaller pot with bigger holes and soil with perlite.

Do you think it can better? And how? Thank you

Comments (9)

• muniequita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other picture

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Welcome to the Forum!

Can you post a picture of the entire plant, and the pot and potting mix?

Are the trunks still firm, or are they soft when you gently squeeze?

Josh

• muniequita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! Thank you for your welcome :)

The trunk are not squishy, they are firm.

I used Schultz Potting Soil Plus and Perlite from Miracle. I used 60 % soil 40% perlite (eyeball). When I was done I watered a little bit.

Thank you :)

• muniequita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other pic

• muniequita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the non-cute garage.

Here there is a pic of the perlite.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

How many roots were there?

I think you should move the tree back into a sunny window, or outdoor shade, to help it recover.

Josh

• muniequita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just saw 2 white firm roots

• muniequita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Josh,

I think that I should mention that two months ago I bought a Neanthe Bella Palm, she got black spots in just two stems.

I looked on internet and it seemed to be Black Root Rot. I looked for the medicine the web said and I coudn't find it.

I called a nursery far away from my house to see if they have it, they said no becouse I live in Canada and might not be legal. She asked me for the symtomps and over the phone she said it was Black Knot.
    I should burn it and remove it from my property.

I looked the roots, the ones from the stem with the black spot were diferent, with more little hairs than the healthys one. I was looking when suddenly I see a white worm emerging from the sick ones!

I looked on internet again, and the white worm looked like a Nematode...but there is just one specie of them that you can see bare eyes.

I just put it in a bag and to the trash it went.

A couple of days later I found this spots, that they may be there from sometimes, but becouse my Pachira was behind other plants never paid attention. Hard way to learn to pay detail atention to my plants.

I didn't find any worm, but I scared that is something serious. In the other hand my Money Tree didn't habe good drainage so it could be something related to that.

I am sorry if this is long, I think I never wrote so much :) I just don't have anybody to share this portant thing to me

• HU-76180408
    4 years ago

What kind of medicine did it recommend? because I think my tree has the same problem.