Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with tomatoes

Posted by swimlikehell (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 15:09

Hello, I am trying tomatoes for the second year and am still having issues. First let me tell you about my setup, i have two Roma tomato plants and two cucumber plans and two bell pepper plants and a habanero plant each plant has a 5 gallon nursery style container and I water each day except the peppers. The cucumber and tomato plants are growing like crazy but the fruit on the tomatoes are getting BER and are staying small. This was an issue last year as well that is why I got bigger pots but this hasn't fixed anything. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions on the cause of my small tomatoes as well as the BER. Thanks for all help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with tomatoes

Search Gardenweb for BER and you'll find a lot of information on what causes it and lots of theories about how to prevent it. One thing you should know is that it is much more likely to occur in plum/ paste tomatoes, including Roma. The good news is that if you take care to water evenly and feed your tomatoes properly they often seem to "grow out of it."

What potting mix are you using? It should drain well and ideally contain calcium and magnesium. If you make your own mix you can add a little lime to provide calcium and magnesium. Your fertilizer needs to include all the trace elements. Some fertilizers made for tomatoes, like tomatotone, do include calcium.

You might want to visit the tomatoes forum here to learn more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here