Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting a kumquat & avocado tree, should I root prune?

Posted by podpeople (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 15:21

Hey folks,

I was just given a small Nagami kumquat and a Hass avocado tree (neither have any flowers or fruits) that have been sitting in their small 3 gallon nursery pots for a very long time and are fairly root bound. I'm going to repot them and I just wanted to see if both of these take favorably to bare rooting or root pruning? Should I just knock out the old soil and replant in Al's mix or are are these the kind of trees that do better with a little root pruning (remove about 1/3 of the bottom roots)?

Thanks for your time,
~CJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting a kumquat & avocado tree, should I root prune?

Good question. I wish I knew the answer! I worked in plant nurseries for a few years and I thought I had repotted just about everything at every stage of potbound. I never heard of root pruning like that. I'd just remove the old soil if you feel the need to. The roots might wrapped around the rootball alot. Half the fun is the challenge of repotting something that rootbound. We never removed the old soil. Maybe because it was in a nursery? Maybe homeowners repot differently. Anxious to see other people's answers!

o

I haven't worked with avocados, but I bare rooted a Meiwa kumquat into Al's mix earlier this year (see this thread) and it's doing great. There are at least 30 fruits developing now, and it has just started putting out a little new growth and another flush of flowers.

Normally it's best to do this sort of work in the spring, before it gets too hot and the plants start putting out new growth. I recently made a post about this subject here, so that may help you as well.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 21:57

What S said. Timing is important.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here