Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gjshawk

I'm learning a lot...

gjshawk
10 years ago

This year I first learned about square foot gardening, and got started with 5 raised beds. Then I learned about the Grow Box, which is a sub-irrigated planter, when I got a flyer from Gurneys with my seeds. I ordered three of them. I used the same soil mix in the Grow Boxes that I used in the raised beds, and so far so good. Tomatoes and peppers are doing great.

Then I found out about Global Buckets, which is an easy and inexpensive way to make your own SIPs from 5 gallon buckets. I have two of those, with tomatoes in them. Most of my gardening revolves around tomatoes because I love to eat them.

I also learned about the rain gutter SIP method, and want to try it, but I am waiting for next season because it's getting a little late in the year for planting new stuff, and I'm running out of money.

I'm also learning about automating the watering system with float valves and such, making life even easier.

I'm impressed with the SIP gardening method, and plan next year to convert the raised beds to sub-irrigation.

I don't really have a question, just an observation. There are so many ways to grow great vegetables that it's hard to pick a favorite. Too bad more people aren't using container gardening for their patios and other spaces that remain empty when they could be enjoying fresh veggies and fruits.

I've included a photo of my Global Buckets. They are a little different, which will educate me even more on which way I prefer. Have a great day, or as they say in old cheezy Japanese sci-fi movies, "I wish you happiness!"

Comments (12)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

It is real pleasure to read your experiences.

You are right many people do not give much attention on container gardening. Container gardening is not only for food it is also about our environment.

Thanks for sharing.
    Caelian

• gjshawk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Caelian. I'm more excited about gardening this year than ever. Maybe it's because I've recently retired and have more time.

The past two years I was using the "straw bale" gardening method, with mixed success. It was cheap and easy, but this year my garden is way more successful.

Here's a pic of one of the grow boxes.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Very nice healthy looking plants.

I have also some tomatoes plants, Black Turfle, Cherry Chocolate and Cherry Ildi. They are getting blooms. This is my first time growing tomatoes. Black Turfle is not a very delicious variety I have read somewhere on the net. I like the color and just I have bought the seeds.

Happy Retirement to you.

Caelian

• gjshawk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My best success is with transplants that I get at Lowe's, a nursery, even the supermarket or Walmart. I have never had much luck with seeds. I take that back. If I plant them outside and let them do their thing then I'm ok. It's when I start them indoors and then try to take them outside that I have problems. I like starting with plants from the store. It kinda limits my variety though.

I've got 12 tomato plants, with variets including Juliet, Sweet 'N' Neat, Big Boy, Big Beef, Lemon Boy, and Bush Goliath. Several plants have fruit on them but none are ripe yet. I've noticed that the sub-irrigated container plants are doing better than the raised bed plants. Not that the raised beds are doing poorly, just that the sub-irrigation container plants are doing better. I have some containers that are top irrigated, and those plants are like the raised bed plants. Hmmmm....

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Be prepared for those strawberries to spread like wildfire :-)

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

All those names of the tomatoes varieties are new to me. Next year I will try some new varieties. I do not have much experience, still I keep learning.

Caelian

• gjshawk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too. I found a web page with a huge variety of tomatoes, where you can order about any type you want. I'll link it below. I know I said I haven't had much luck with seeds, but I think I'll get some from that site. My name's Grant, by the way.

I'm hoping that next year the entire raised bed will be strawberries, and I will plant the swiss chard and kale somewhere else.

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest

• gjshawk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too. I found a web page with a huge variety of tomatoes, where you can order about any type you want. I'll link it below. I know I said I haven't had much luck with seeds, but I think I'll get some from that site. My name's Grant, by the way.

I'm hoping that next year the entire raised bed will be strawberries, and I will plant the swiss chard and kale somewhere else.

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Grant, thank you for the link. I am interested on germination, all my chili, tomatoes and other vegetables plants are started from the seeds. It is my real pleasure to see the young seedlings.

Caelian

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Speaking of tomatoes, I start them from seeds too. I should know by now about germination...but made same mistake again - planted 10 seeds of each variety I had, ended up with 164 plants - almost all of them germinated (18 varieties).
    Swamped with tomato plants!

Peppers - this year - didn't germinate as well, but it could have been the growing conditions. Less than 50%. The best germ. rate I got was from seeds I collected from my plants in 2011.

I planted 20 asparagus Viking seeds, 18 germinated.

Rina

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

18 varieties 164 plants WOW it's a lot, however it would be OK for a professional gardener, congratulation.

Most of the seeds I have bought were germinated except some seeds from EU :-). The seeds I have collected from the fresh pods have grown better and trouble free. I have done two times all of them have grown very well. The funny thing is when I have sent the seeds I have collected to my friend none of them were germinated. I blamed to him :-). All the seeds I have bought from www.pepperlover.com and our local online shops sent to my friend were 99% germinated. There must be something else to do with seed storage, I think. I was just a windowsill gardener now I have about 100 chili plants :-) I have space but hesitate to put my plants near the hedge, because the hedge have some harmful pests and insects. As an alternatives I keep some of the plants in small containers to grow compact.

18 out of 20 is a very good germination rate. I have never grown asparagus before probably next year I will try. Now I am planing to built some Earth Tainer self-watering containers to grow some vegetables, I like this self-watering system, it is the best SWC I have ever known.

Good luck to your tomatoes swamp and aparagus.

Caelian

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Caelian

Thank you, I have to give away most of the tomato plants - do not have that much space available now. Planning to keep just 2 plants of each variety.

I tried asparagus, I really want to grow it. It will be few years until they start producing - at least 1yr longer than planting crowns. But I am patient...Rina