Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilizer questions for longan, almond, & pomegranate tree?

Posted by podpeople (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 15:58

Hey folks,

Got a quick question for you. I have a container longan, all-in-one almond, and an eversweet pomegranate. They are all in the 5-1-1 mix and I'll eventually be watering weakly weekly with Foliage Pro, but to be on the safe side I'd also like to throw in some time release just in case. They are all in half wine barrels.

I do have a a bottle of slow release Dynamite 13-13-13 and a bottle of their palm & citrus 13-5-11. Would either of these work and what ration for a half barrel if I'll be using Foliage Pro weekly?

Thanks for your time,
~CJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilizer questions for longan, almond, & pomegranate tree?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 18:32

Of the 2, the 13-5-11 would be a much better choice than the 13-13-13. If you were using only a CRF as your nutrient source, I'd suggest you use about 1/2 cup/cu ft of soil, which comes out pretty close to a tbsp/gallon, but if you're using it as a back-up, I'd guess you'd probably want to use some fraction of that amount - up to you, but 1 - 1.5 tsp/gallon sounds reasonable to me.

AL

o

Hello again,

Thanks for the info. I just have a few more questions. I actually just received my Foliage Pro shipment. Would I be safe fertilizing them weakly weekly with 1 tsp per gallon of water? Is that the amount you would recommend? Would that be the same ration with my vegetables in half barrels?

Thanks again,
~CJ

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 20:18

While air temps are between 60-80, I usually fertilize at 4 tsp in a 2-1/2 gallon watering can, which is about 1-1/2 tsp per gallon, and I see no evidence of plants having trouble keeping leaf margins & tips hydrated (no sign of fertilizer burn), or any sort of sense that the plants are being pushed too hard, so I think 1 tsp/gallon on a weekly basis is well within reason ..... if you are watering copiously so the soil is being flushed at each watering.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here