Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed results

Posted by bigpinks 6SEOhio (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 16:10

First yr with containers and I have about 8 on the driveway.All in the 5-1-1 mix. Better Bush and Bush Goliath started out wonderful and plants are still beautiful but BER so far. Cherokee Purple looks better so I suspect some varieties are more suspect to this problem. Bell peppers and Black Beauty Eggplant are the best I've ever had. Japanese eggplants started later are off to a good start. Side yard garden is 40x40 and I have 8 veggies there that are doing good. Estler Mortgage Lifters set out May 15 have 3in tomatoes and Brandy Boy maybe 4in in diameter. I have 65 all together of 15 diff cultivars, beans corn, cukes, egg plants, peppers, lettuce, kohlrabi and green onions. Lot of work...lots more fun.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed results

Howdy, sounds like a load of vegetables!

For the 5-1-1, did you add the Lime? (I hate to even ask, but you never know...) ;-)

Also, what type of fertilizer are you using?

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 20:59

BER is a common physiological problem, often unrelated to the Ca supply, on early fruits and usually self-corrects. By 'unrelated to the Ca supply', I mean that even when the Ca supply in the soil is adequate or even more than adequate, it's common for tomatoes in early growth stages to exhibit BER because they are physically unable to assimilate Ca fast enough to supply the needs of the entire plant. You can read more about it if you like at the link I left below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about the physiology of BER if you click me

o

yep the lime was included......Osmocote 14-14-14 in the mix and half strength 24-8-16 MG since.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here