Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Efficient' carrots in containers

Posted by enmnm 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 16:11

In early spring I planted a window box of radishes, carrots, and lettuce. Now that it is summer, I decided to transplant the remaining lettuce to gutters, which take up a lot less real estate than big window boxes. I also pulled out the carrots...they were straight, but not particularly sweet. (I didn't really like them.)

So I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the seed packets (I have two varieties that range from 4-6".) I guess now wouldn't be the best time to plant them, but they take so darn long to grow from seed and take up valuable real estate for a one-time deal. Not like my bushes and cut lettuce that keep producing, or radishes that only take 3 weeks.

Is there a more "efficient" way to grow carrots? Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Efficient' carrots in containers

Succession planting is the best way to get a good extended harvest, but does not help with th real estate issue... Not much you can really do there... They will be sweeter in cooler weather though

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here