Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My roses are blooming :-)

Posted by Renthorin none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 16:34

I planted three roses, each in a 5-gallon bucket.

Attached is a link to a picture. Now, how do I prune roses? Can they be pruned for more blossoms later or is what I see now (flowers and buds) all they will do this year?

I'm new to roses so any help is appreciated.

Ren

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of roses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My roses are blooming :-)

You may want to post in the roses forum. It looks like you have some hybrid teas, which are usually repeat bloomers - meaning you'll continue to get new blooms as long as the plants are happy and the weather is conducive.

Google how to prune roses for a lot more information that you could ever get in a thread. The term you should search for is called "deadheading" - cutting back spent blooms to promote more flowers. The basic concept is that you prune 1/4 inch above a "node", which is where a petiole (leaf stem) attaches to a branch or main stem. These leaf clusters have new growing "buds" above them, which show the direction that your new stem will grow. You want to cut above a node a leaf cluster of 5 leaves; if you cut above a 3 leaflet cluster, you won't get new blooms on that stem. Try to cut back to a place where the stem is about the thickness of a pencil, or your new blooms will form on weak, drooping stems. The cut should be at 45 degrees, with the highest part of the cut stem closest to the new growth bud (so water will flow away from it). Prune with an eye towards good air circulation to prevent disease. Cut so that new growth is away from the center of the plant.

This sounds much, much more complicated than it is - it's very easy once you get the hang of it. Google "deadheading" - a picture is worth a thousand words. Good luck and enjoy your roses!

o
RE: My roses are blooming :-)

Cool thanks :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here