Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries in containers. Which soil

Posted by kiropod 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 17:12

Just picked up two blueberry plants today, which are 3 feet tall. I have left over Al's gritty mix that I could use or the 5, 1,1 mix. Which would be better? Since blueberries like acid, what should I add to either mixture to ensure health plant growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries in containers. Which soil

I also bought 2 plants this year. 1 was in a 2 gal pot, and 1 was in a 3 gal pot. I immediately potted them up into 10 gallon pots. I just took the plants out of their original pots, placed the root ball into the new pot, and filled in around it with double ground pine bark (including gypsum,) which is basically the 511 without perlite. That was 6 weeks ago, and I've gotten between 8" and 12" of new growth since then, and there are lots of berries. The 511 w/gypsum should work ok with the container blueberries. I just add 2 tablespoons of vinegar per gallon of water, and I water every 2 days, and fertilize 1 per week with MG, and epsom salts for magnesium. There are lots of good threads on this here and in the fruits forum.

o

I agree that the 5-1-1 is ideal, but I'd stick with the lime that the recipe calls for.

Joe

o

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 23:16

Please, no lime on blueberries. They need acid soil. They'll die in a matter of months in soil with added lime. You'll do better adding a little sulfur. Even alkaline well water will kill blueberries.

o

Thanks

o

Wow, I just did a little reading, and sure enough, apparently they like VERY low PH. The 5-1-1 mix is still quite acidic after liming, but I am reading that they like a PH of 4.0 to 5.5? I guess in that case, I stand corrected, no lime.

Joe

o

Thanks

o

The garden center which sold me the bb plants recommended aluminum sulfate to acidify the soil. Any thoughts on this?

o

I believe Al (Tapla) was asked this on another thread about fertilizing, and I recall him saying that it's a bad idea, because the aluminum can create problems.

Joe

o

Now I'm worried as I used the 5-1-1 soil and added the aluminum sulfate today and then watered

o

Should I repot and as such remove the aluminum sulfate?

o

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 13:16

I won't repot. Just use something else going forward. Ammonium sulfate in small doses is a good acidifier and nitrogen source. Sulfur is a good long term acidifier.

There are organic alternatives. Holly Tone for acid loving plants and organic cottonseed meal are two examples.

One way to really push growth on blueberries is by dissolving one tablespoon of ammonium sulfate, 21-0-0, in about 2.5 gal water. Apply enough once a week so that excess runs out the bottom. This will boost growth and lower soil pH. If your soil is already pH 4.5 or below, urea is a good substitute.

o

Thanks. It was hard determimg how much to use as I put the blueberries in 2 I8 quart containers.

o

Would raspberries respond similar to the blueberries? Should I use the 5-1-1 mix for my raspberry brambles? (i.e. do they also like the acidic soil)?

Thank you in advance!
Cory

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here