Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiropod

Blueberries in containers. Which soil

kiropod
12 years ago

Just picked up two blueberry plants today, which are 3 feet tall. I have left over Al's gritty mix that I could use or the 5, 1,1 mix. Which would be better? Since blueberries like acid, what should I add to either mixture to ensure health plant growth?

Comments (13)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    12 years ago

I also bought 2 plants this year. 1 was in a 2 gal pot, and 1 was in a 3 gal pot. I immediately potted them up into 10 gallon pots. I just took the plants out of their original pots, placed the root ball into the new pot, and filled in around it with double ground pine bark (including gypsum,) which is basically the 511 without perlite. That was 6 weeks ago, and I've gotten between 8" and 12" of new growth since then, and there are lots of berries. The 511 w/gypsum should work ok with the container blueberries. I just add 2 tablespoons of vinegar per gallon of water, and I water every 2 days, and fertilize 1 per week with MG, and epsom salts for magnesium. There are lots of good threads on this here and in the fruits forum.

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

I agree that the 5-1-1 is ideal, but I'd stick with the lime that the recipe calls for.

Joe

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Please, no lime on blueberries. They need acid soil. They'll die in a matter of months in soil with added lime. You'll do better adding a little sulfur. Even alkaline well water will kill blueberries.

• kiropod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

Wow, I just did a little reading, and sure enough, apparently they like VERY low PH. The 5-1-1 mix is still quite acidic after liming, but I am reading that they like a PH of 4.0 to 5.5? I guess in that case, I stand corrected, no lime.

Joe

• kiropod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks

• kiropod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The garden center which sold me the bb plants recommended aluminum sulfate to acidify the soil. Any thoughts on this?

• Joe1980
    12 years ago

I believe Al (Tapla) was asked this on another thread about fertilizing, and I recall him saying that it's a bad idea, because the aluminum can create problems.

Joe

• kiropod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I'm worried as I used the 5-1-1 soil and added the aluminum sulfate today and then watered

• kiropod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Should I repot and as such remove the aluminum sulfate?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

I won't repot. Just use something else going forward. Ammonium sulfate in small doses is a good acidifier and nitrogen source. Sulfur is a good long term acidifier.

There are organic alternatives. Holly Tone for acid loving plants and organic cottonseed meal are two examples.

One way to really push growth on blueberries is by dissolving one tablespoon of ammonium sulfate, 21-0-0, in about 2.5 gal water. Apply enough once a week so that excess runs out the bottom. This will boost growth and lower soil pH. If your soil is already pH 4.5 or below, urea is a good substitute.

• kiropod
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. It was hard determimg how much to use as I put the blueberries in 2 I8 quart containers.

• CoryMiamiBeach
    12 years ago

Would raspberries respond similar to the blueberries? Should I use the 5-1-1 mix for my raspberry brambles? (i.e. do they also like the acidic soil)?

Thank you in advance!
    Cory

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!