Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cactus mix for Conifer Seedlings?

Posted by spartacus83 Wa (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 17:13

I have a few conifer seedlings (Sequoia,Spruce and metasquoia) in some peat based soil but I've noticed that the soil gets very compact after a few waterings, would cactus mix be a better soil for seedlings?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cactus mix for Conifer Seedlings?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 23, 11 at 18:24

Seedlings do best in a very well-aerated soil. I sow hardy conifer & deciduous seeds directly on top of the gritty mix in flats or wood boxes in late fall, scarifying when appropriate, then cover them with about 1/4" of Turface fines, and leave them out in the weather over winter. I also usually lay a piece of insect screen on top of the soil to act as a break (slow down the rain) so it doesn't splash soil/seeds out of the flat or expose the seeds and to make it more difficult for the critters to get at them. They usually sprout in the spring as soil temps pass 50*.

Screened Turface would be great, and you could use perlite with a little peat mixed in if you wanted to.

Al

o

Al~
I have a question too..
I have some pine seeds that were from tree's of a lower elevation around here that don't see snow, and very few hard freezes. would they need the cold treatment like you do with yours?

Thanks,
JJ

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 21:18

Hi, JJ. ;-) Different species need different levels of cold stratification and even scarification (like our jackpine needs fire to promote germination, and fire plays an important part in the life cycle of the redwoods as well). Some seeds germinate only in the dark, others in the light, and still others need specific wave-lengths of light to germinate.

In the case of your trees, it doesn't take freezing temperatures to successfully vernalize seeds - most seeds can be cold-stratified/vernalized at temperatures of 45* and cooler.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here