Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container grapes

Posted by organiclexie CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 17:23

Will grapes fruit in a container? If so, how large a container do I need? I purchased a small grape plant (merlot) from the nursery and it does have a few bunches of grapes on it. Will it continue to produce in a pot? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container grapes

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 17:54

Will grapes fruit in a container? Yes

If so, how large a container do I need? The bigger, the better, but you should allow the upper limit of container size to be dictated by considering the three-way relationship between, the speed (porosity) of the soil, the plant's mass (size), and the effects of the size of the container.

I purchased a small grape plant (merlot) from the nursery and it does have a few bunches of grapes on it. Will it continue to produce in a pot? It will, as long as you can provide the cultural conditions it finds favorable, the perennial key to most container gardening successes.

Al

o

This spring, my sister's boyfriend and I dug up an old grape that had been languishing in the shade of two trees. We put it into a bark, pumice, and perlite mix (attempting a gritty mix), and then brought it into the sun after about a week of recuperation. At first we weren't sure if it would even leaf out, due to the rough insult we did to its root-ball. Now, however, it looks to be fine. Lots of new foliage and vines; no sign of fruit yet. Nice silhouette on the left-hand stump, though....

An oak half-barrel would probably be much better for this grape, but we're working with what we've got.
Eventually, the grape might just go back into the ground.

A progression, April 14th - June 4:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

thanks! I'll keep you posted on my grape

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 19:22

.... hope you do.

Good luck.

Al

o

Wow, such a nice looking grape plant, thanks for the inspiration. I might just go to a farmer and ask for a grape trunk instead of buying from home depot. Their grape plants are tiny.

o

I have read that growing grapes is at least 3 years long work. As well every year in late autumn you should cover the vine by the earth-for this you should take off the vine from the trellis and put it into the dug hole beneath the upper earth surface. Do you do it? I myself want to start growing the grapes on my balcony and now I am reading all the possible material on this theme, but still having very many questions.

o

I took a pic a few days ago. I saw Loori's recent post, so figured I'd add it here.
No fruit yet, but the vines look happy!

Josh

July 2

o

But what about winter period? Will you take the pot with the vine to a cooler room? If a vine grower doesn't have a cooler room to place the vine pot there, how then the vine should be protected from the winter frosts?

o

I won't do anything special for the winter. Maybe just slide this container
under some trees to keep it out of the way. The winter is fairly mild here, with
only a few days where we dip into the 20F's.

You could crowd several large containers together for insulation; you could
wrap the outside of the container with an insulating blanket of some type;
you could situate the container close to a building; and you could even mulch
around the sides of the container with leaves, styrofoam, straw, et cetera.

Josh

o

Since not so long ago we have been having rather mild winters too with much rain instead of snow, though with occasional colder periods, when temperatures may be lower than - 6 degrees Celsius, at nights temperatures may fall till -15 degrees Celsius on some days. So are you sure that just wrapping the container into some insulating material would protect the vine?Would the vine have well developed grapes? Do you expect to have well developed grapes on your vine?

o

Loori,
here's the containerized grape, in its second year.
Some of last year's vines were pruned to about four feet long. Now we have the beginnings of fruit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o
All grape juice is white

For Lexie, Loori, Suzi, Al, and anyone else still interested....
Year two in the container in a modified 5-1-1. Grapes aren't ripe yet, but they've grown incredibly in one month's time!
Now I can answer the question with confidence: Yes, grapes will produce in containers!

Photobucket

Josh

o

Nice! Congratulations on the grapes!

o

Very nice! My cuttings in their containers are all doing great! Some need new stakes! They've exceeded the height of their stake! I will be pinching clusters for at least 3 years, so no fruit for mine. Just growth. That old vine looks amazing! What kind is it?
Suzi

o

Hi Josh!
Always interested! :)

Looks great!

JoJo

o

greenman28

Hi again!

I have seen your last photos of your grape vine and it is so encouraging to see a green cluster of grapes. Could you share your experince on how many clusters you had last summer and if there is enough place for the grape roots in this not very big container? Also I would like to know how the plant survived winter temperatures and how low are your winter temperatures? Thank you.

o

Can white table grapes be wintered over in an enclosed porch w/o heat?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here