Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot days...

Posted by gjshawk 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:25

The summer is getting hotter here in western Colorado. Today it's going to hit 102, and tomorrow 104. The garden is doing well, but I've noticed that the water reservoirs in the SIPs are going down fast. The Grow Boxes have 4 gallon reservoirs and I am filling them at least once a day, and they are pretty low when I get to them. The 5 gallon buckets too. The tomatoes, peppers, and other plants are healthy though, and don't appear to have any wilt.

Next year I plan on setting up an automatic watering system, probably the rain gutter system with float valve.

Here's a photo.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot days...

I hear ya, Orlando is hitting high 90's and a zillion % humidity. My boxes have to be filled everyday or they just go bone dry, it's nuts!

o

I was wrong. It hit at least 105. My wife's vehicle thermometer said 108. Today's supposed to be even hotter. It's dry here, so when you go out you bake instead of broil, like you do in Florida. I lived in Pensacola for almost 8 years, so I've been there with the humid heat. I'll take it dry any time if it's going to be hot.

o

Yeah temps in the 100's is definitely hot. And yes the SIP's will empty fast. I'm glad you didn't call them SWC's, because nothing could be further from the truth :-). We have been spoiled with hot (90's) dryish summers here for the past few years, but this year it 's been wet, but warm. Too wet for most with in ground gardens, but for us with containers, they really shine in the heavy rain. Almost 9" in my rain bucket for June, and mother nature is doing most of my daily watering, saving me about an hour per day.

o

It hasn't rained here for at least a month. I wouldn't mind a little water from the sky to wet things down and get the particulates out of the air. Ain't happenin' for a while here, though. I should go out and wash my truck. It usually rains a day or two after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here