Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun Room Container Gardening

Posted by TheSunRoomGardener Maine (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 17:36

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and pretty new to gardening, but I love having a sunroom and I've gone completely insane with plants!

With that being said I have a few questions about the best way to care for some of the plants that I have. I've posted a few pics so you guys can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

My first question is about jalapeno peppers. I started six from seed and they are growing really nicely right now. My only concern is that when they get older and bigger, they will not like being in the long pot that I have them all in (see pic) and will be hard to repot because all their roots will be growing into each other. Should I repot them now, or will they do fine where they are?

I also have a dwarf meyer lemon tree that I ordered online. It's grown quite a bit since I bought it, but some if its leaves are kinda yellow and a few have holes in them ( I also put pics of this up). Any idea what this could be? Also, is it essential that I fertilize it and if so, what type of fertilizer should I use?

The other two plants that I put pics of are two more exotic plants that I ordered online. The tall one in the black pot is an Angels Trumpet and the one in the white ceramic pot is a princess flower. If anyone has any tips on how to keep these happy and possibly bloom faster, I'd appreciate the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun Room Container Gardening

Also forgot to ask, is a ceramic pot a good pot to use for the lemon tree, and when should I expect them to start producing?

o

Sunroom,

Welcome to the forums:)

I'm not sure about some of your questions, but I believe you should repot those peppers now.

Check out the link below, it is from one of the geniuses on this forum, and you will learn a ton about container growing from his posts. Fertilizing in containers is an absolute requirement, and there is a link at the bottom of the post I am linking where he goes in to fertilizing in detail.

Good luck with your container garden :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Good stuff:)

o

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 16:47

Sunroom;

just wondering - why do you want to keep plants inside?
Looks like you are in the house, is there any 'outside' you can put them? Trumpet & princess could grow very large...I understand the excitement about sunroom (had same experience myself!), but I would think that they would benefit from being outside. Even the lemon. Just asking...Rina

o

Well I'm a little nervous about putting them outside because I'm a college student in a college town and I would worry about someone stealing them. They are going to be outside for two months though while I'm in Massachusetts at a job living in a place a bit more safe for outdoor container plants. But now I'm concerned about the trip there and back. I know Meyer lemons don't like being moved around too much so I'm worried about the four hour drive to get there. Does anyone know if angels trumpet, princess flowers or orchids also don't do well with long moves? Everything is so happy right now, I want to keep them that way!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here