Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbw1984

baby poinsettia

jbw1984
9 years ago

hello everyone.

in the fall, i took a cutting from my poinsettia and it rooted, and then flowered. here is a picture. (i did not put it through the forced flowering cycle -- it made these flowers on its own, although waited until about february to do it.)

i cut down the mom plant like i always do and she will go crazy with new growth in the coming weeks. but i wonder if people have advice about what to do with the baby.

the mom plant has lots of branches, but the baby barely has two. if i remember, i will post a follow-up showing the branches. should i (1) cut it down at all, (2) if i do cut it down, should i just cut the tip off each of the two branches (note that there are a ton of leaves below that branch point), or (3) cut it down to leave a couple of leaves all the way at the base of the plant?

i am being careful because i don't know if there are special considerations when the plant is so young and has barely branched.

i am in a very temperate climate -- coastal southern california -- and with the exception of the occasional hot spell, it will be about 75 indoors during the day time and about 68 at night for the next 4-5 months. the plant is very near a south-facing window.

any advice is welcome. thank you.

Comments (2)