Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extra Large SIP -- how does this sound?

Posted by ltalent z5-6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 18:08

I've only made one sip so I wanted to check in with some more experienced people before proceeding.

I want to turn a large custom planter into a SIP. Planter is 24 X 24 X 48. Drainage hole is 2 inches up on one side. Unfortunately, the fabricator just told me it won't be 100% water tight because there are casters.

So, I thought I would use plastic storage bins (17x20x5) cut down to two inches and run a piece of piping through them so the water spreads between them. I will also include a couple of 2" supports inside to ensure they don't buckle under the weight. I could add a strip of drainage mat above that to guarantee a little air.

My questions is what to put in the middle to draw up the water? There will be 20 inches of soil above.

Should I just use a plastic pot filled with soil in the middle of each container and drill holes in them?

Do I need an actual a wick to draw water up?

I hope this makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extra Large SIP -- how does this sound?

What's SIP?

o

SIP = sub irrigated planter. Similar to 'self-watering container'.

o

I built some out of some old, plastic containers with holes drilled in them.

I built my first SIP a couple months ago. I used a 20 gallon tote. OMG. The two tomato plants in that SIP are doing wonderful.

I simply made sure my growing medium was nice n moist (I layered n sprayed as I filled my tote) and watered from the top for a week or so.

o

I made an extra large SIP planter recently based on the article in family handyman. link to my thread
I used raybo's 3:2:1 mix and For last two weeks I have not watered the plants and they seem to be getting their water just fine. The float says that half of the water is used. So that mix has worked great to wick water. Here is a link to the earthtainer construction (which has information about 3:2:1 mix in the appendix I think)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here