Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juventusopp

Clear Container - Gritty Mix

juventusopp
9 years ago

Hello

I was at my local grower supply store recently and I picked up this (pics below) clear orchid type container for one of my potted gritty mix citrus trees. I thought it was a good idea to pick one up bc I could see if the plant would need or not need water etc. I also loved that it's heavy duty and I don't have to worry about the mix moving around when I pick up the pot.

After repotting I saw a tiny sliver of the roots which was against the pot wall and thought that roots don't like exposure to light. So, are these pots ok for use with citrus and the gritty mix or does the light problem make them unusable.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Weicker
    9 years ago

If exposed to sunlight, you may get some algae growth.

• juventusopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good point. Going to watch it closely and see how it does in comparison to the other pots. If it does well I'm going to use them exclusively. Thanks

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

I like to use opaque plastic pots for my orchids. They're not quite clear, but I can still see the roots and the Gritty Mix medium. The ones I have are like a smoky gray/brown, rigid plastic, and come with saucers.

I received them as a gift from someone... so I have no idea where to find them. A Google search would probably be the ticket if anyone wanted to find something similar.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

No, I don't think it appropriate for Citrus roots to be exposed to light. Orchids are very different plants with roots often exposed.

You could slip this into another pot, and then just check the roots every once in a while.

Josh

• juventusopp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Actually, heat build-up would be my main concern. Opaque pots either reflect light or absorb it and turn it to heat on the surface of the pot where most of the heat is lost to the air. Clear pots allow light to pass through the pot and be turned to heat when it strikes the soil, effectively turning the pot into an insulating wall that holds heat in.

The other concern, as already mentioned, would be algae growth. I've even had root temp problems with white containers that were only partially translucent. Maybe they'd be ok for shade, or if stuck in a cache pot, but I'd keep in mind the cautions mentioned here.

Al

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Actually, heat build-up would be my main concern. Opaque pots either reflect light or absorb it and turn it to heat on the surface of the pot where most of the heat is lost to the air. Clear pots allow light to pass through the pot and be turned to heat when it strikes the soil, effectively turning the pot into an insulating wall that holds heat in.

The other concern, as already mentioned, would be algae growth. I've even had root temp problems with white containers that were only partially translucent. Maybe they'd be ok for shade, or if stuck in a cache pot, but I'd keep in mind the cautions mentioned here.

Al

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

The neat thing about using the Gritty Mix in my opaque pots is that it dries out in good time, so I haven't seen any algae growth.

I only have my orchids in this kind of pot, though... they're only 3" pots, so none of my bulbs or other plants will fit. I do like them for starting some kinds of seeds, though... so I can see root growth.

I have noticed that many semi-hydro growers use clear pots... but those are kept indoors, so...

• hairmetal4ever
    9 years ago

If you want to be able to see the roots/moisture but avoid problems, you could probably design some sort of removable sleeve (preferably white or light colored) that can slip over the container.