Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafted cherry tomato in container with too many stems!

Posted by brokenankle none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 18:23

Hi friends,

This is my second year balcony/container gardening. I'm growing a blush Tiger grafted tomato, and its...well....growing!
(For what its worth, all my containers are Ikea-hacked sub-irrigated planters. The one in the picture is this one: http://goo.gl/y6bFRv , to give you an idea of size)

I was single-stem pruning it, but somehow several stems have shot up from the base of the plant, and it's becoming slightly unmanageable. I think I have about 4-5 stems in addition to the main stem.

So I have two questions:

1. Should I cut off the (very developed) stems, or at least their growth tip? If so, how many?

2. The main stem is about to reach the top of the stake -- do I just let it fall after it reaches the top?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafted cherry tomato in container with too many stems!

Looks great. I always leave the stems, although do I prune off anything that touches the soil. I'd suggest you build a taller trellis and let that thing go crazy. My cherry tomatoes usually go 9 - 12 feet.

Josh

o

Oh man! I definitely don't have space for 9-12feet....

o

tie it up along the railing?

o

Well, you chose the wrong tomato for that spot :-)
In the future, I'd recommend determinate "Bush" or "patio" or "micro" varieties. Good luck.

Josh

o

I would let it grow up and over the railing and, as jujustad suggested, tie it to the railing. You could let some branches run horizontally along the fence before going over to hang down. Tomatoes are vines that can grow quite long. I wouldn't recommend cutting "suckers" or branches that have already grown more than 10-12 inches. You're just cutting into your potential yield, and it won't slow down the top growth.

o

Thanks for the advice guys! Sigh. I admittedly got over excited at the prospect of growing a grafted tomato, that has apparently won all kinds of taste awards. I'm going to have to plan this one better next year! These things better taste good! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here