Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit from avocado seedling

Posted by joeworm FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 18:32

Has anyone grown an avocado from a seed and gotten any avocados from the palnt?
I've read different versions where some people say it isn't possible and others say it is possible to get a seedling to bear fruit. So I ask, from the horses mouth, has anyone had any success???
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit from avocado seedling

I've heard it can take up to 8 years to bear fruit.

o

I think I've heard 3 to 5 years, but I've also heard that seeds from store-bought avocados are typically hybrids that will not bear fruit, and also that some avocado trees are bisexual while others are monosexual (or whatever the word is), i.e. with some types of trees you need at least one male tree to fertilize the female trees, and only the female trees will bear fruit.

I've got an avocado tree that's less than a year old growing in a container, and it's only about a foot and a half tall, so we'll see what happens with it - at least it's attractive even if it doesn't bear fruit.

o

If you want fruit, your best bet is to purchase a plant of a known variety.

Paraphrasing from an article I read a couple days ago:

Avocados do not come true from seed, meaning the fruit won't be like the one the seed came from, and you have no idea if the fruit will even be any good. Seedlings can take up to 10-15 years to fruit. Most fruit from supermarkets are from Mexican-Guatemalan hybrids; seedlings grown from them will usually have "moderate to severe" leaf tip burn, as well as some necrosis due to salt injury.

o

It looks like I'll leave the seedlings to the ornamental growers and buy a producing plant.
Thanks

o

• Posted by jun_ 8a-9b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 19:35

I have heard of two instances where a Hass Avocado seedling has produced a nice fruit, no different from a Hass. I can't remember how long it took, but I believe it was from 5 -8 years.

o

They weren't too clear in that article about what they mean by "do not come true from seed." I think they must be talking about the hybrids and grafts that are used commercially. If you're taking a seed from a tree of an established breed, I can't think of why it wouldn't be true from seed.

But either way, yes, you want to make sure you get a known variety, and if you're starting from seed, it's probably going to be a long time before you see fruit.

o

I have a tree that's about 12 or 13 years old, planted from seed. It's about 30 feet tall. It's been bearing avocados for the past 7 or 8 years. I don't know the variety, it's from a supermarket avocado, very large smooth skin. I had bumper crops for a couple of years, just a few avocados for the last 2 or 3.
So, yes it is possible to get fruit from a tree grown from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here