Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Searching For Globe Caraganas In The USA

Posted by nerdyshopper 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 19:04

We need super winter hardy shrubs to plant in 10" pots to give privacy to our garbage can. The last two years we went to our local nursary and bought what they said would work. Both shrubs froze out and when we took them back the nursery said no shrubs would survive the winter in a 10 inch pot because of the cold. I looked for shrubs that could survive in our climate (zone 5-6) online and found that Globe Caraganas are winter hardy to Zone 2A. Now I can't find a nursary to purchase them from. Anyone found some that can be bought in the US?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Searching For Globe Caraganas In The USA

You can't really expect much to survive a winter in a pot unprotected... The hardiness of a plant is based on the assumption it is planted in the ground where it will be insulated by the mass of the earth around it and the snow on top of it when it snows.

You would need to bury the pots in the winter or otherwise protect the pots if you expect anything to overwinter in a pot no matter what it's hardiness rating is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here