Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hose nozzle to avoid splashing soil

Posted by terrygeranium 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 19:04

I have a large balcony w/ lots of container plants. Had a small coil hose that worked ok but took forever. After it broke, I bought a larger one (coiled) and a separate nozzle. Can't seem to water now without splashing soil all over the place. Can someone recommend a hose nozzle or wand so that the force of the water can be lessened without resorting to a spray. (I have tried not turning the water source on full but doesn't seem to help -- either still too strong or no water.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hose nozzle to avoid splashing soil

There is a great American company called Dramm that make the best watering wands and nozzles - daylight comes second.

Even here in Australia they are the first choice for professionals and keen home gardeners.

Just google their name.

o

How about cover the nozzle by a thin cloth, just opinion, I never tried.
Caelian

o

terrygeranium, the force with which the water stream hits the earth will cause the soil to "splash".
The force is dependent upon the water pressure and the diameter of the orifice (one) of the hose - end or many in the case of the "rose" at the end of a watering can or shower head. Play around with those two variables.
I have had to adapt a shower head to the hose end because of the high pressure in the recycled water system.

o

Thanks all for helpful answers. I watched a couple of Dramm videos which were very instructive. Discovered that problem was not hose nozzle but, rather, me. I have been so indoctrinated to water the soil and not the leaves, etc of plant that I was blasting a full shoot of water onto the soil in the containers. What else could the soil do but leap out all over the place? The Dramm demo's showed a softer shower that also hits the vegetation above. What a difference! Now I just have to figure out how not to flood the balcony - and grateful that the occupant below is never there.

Thanks again,
Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here