Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
howelbama

Container watermelons...sggestions?

howelbama
12 years ago

Hi,

This is my first season growing watermelons, and my first season taking vegetable garden with any seriousness.

I have somewhat of an "urban garden" set up with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and strawberries growing.

My watermelon and canteloupe seem to be growing very well, and both types of watermelon (crimson sweet and jubilee) have set fruits. I think I may have overfertilized a bit early on, and due to rain it has been hard to keep the containers at the right moisture level. However, I did flush the containers a week ago, and the plants seem to be coming along nicely.

I fed them today with a very dillute nutrient mix.

Any comments/suggestions from experienced gardener's would be appreciated. Here are some pics.

{{gwi:38573}}

{{gwi:38574}}

{{gwi:38575}}

{{gwi:38577}}

{{gwi:38579}}

{{gwi:38581}}

Comments (9)

• LMoon310
    12 years ago

Looks good! I have a stupid question because I'm new at this. I thought flushing was only important in hydroponic or aeroponic growing? I thought flusheing also was removing all the nutrients to get a cleaner taste. Why fert. after the flush, or did you only flush because you overfed in the beginning?

• howelbama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi. I only flushed them because I was afraid I had overfertilized them. I waited about a week after flushing and just fed them a dillute solution so as not to overdo it again. I'm trying to determine if they were over or under fed...

• sprtsguy76
    12 years ago

Lokks pretty good, melons like alot of water. As they grow bigger the need for water will increase and so will the need to fertilize. Just make sure to stay on top of both. Good luck.

Damon

• LMoon310
    12 years ago

I've never done watermelon so I couldn't tell, but I have overfed before. The leaves turn kind of crispy and burnt looking. Those look really healthy to me.

• howelbama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the follow-ups. Any suggestions on how many melons to leave per vine? I was thinking 1 or two for the watermelon and 2 to 3 + for the cantaloupe... I won't be pruning the vine at all just training them and potentially pruning off the weakest melons

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    12 years ago

Your melons look great! I'm growing 2 muskmelon plants and 2 watermelon plants all in the same 30 gallon container. I've had female flowers on both, but none have set fruit yet. I've grown them in the past and have never removed any fruit that has set. I would leave them alone and not prune any. In my opinion, the plant wouldn't set fruit it couldn't deal with. I've had up to 6 or 8 melons on a vine and they were all great.

• howelbama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the follow-ups. Any suggestions on how many melons to leave per vine? I was thinking 1 or two for the watermelon and 2 to 3 + for the cantaloupe... I won't be pruning the vine at all just training them and potentially pruning off the weakest melons

• howelbama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the double post. Edweather I believe they have set fruits due to my little garden ant friends...which I contemplated erradicating earlier in the season. I also have good bee and butterfly activity in the garden.

• btbarbara
    12 years ago

What kind of container are you using for your melons? I've got one watermelon in a 30-gal tub with two Cayenne peppers and several in smaller (too-small) pots and one cantaloupe in an 18-gal tub. I've found a whole lot more about what DIDN'T work than what does. I planted mine in half Miracle Gro potting mix and half Black Kow and I spray them with Miracle Gro every few days. They're growing like crazy but I only have one cantaloupe and no watermelons so far. I only planted 4-5 weeks ago so maybe I just need to be patient. I'm just south of Atlanta and already have to water twice most days...don't know what I'm going to do when the thirsty fruits show up!

This is my most promising watermelon...taking over the yard but no fruit yet :(
    {{gwi:27360}}

and this is my cantaloupe. Just beautiful but only one fruit about the size of a softball so far
    {{gwi:27361}}