Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm Castings tea and foliar spray query...

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 19:31

I am new to container gardening but not to gardening. Early this past spring I had to leave my extensive gardens due to life throwing me a curve ball.

I was able to return and retrieve a few treasures, some which are being kept by friends in their gardens. I did bring with me some Asclepias Incarnata and Tuberosa to place on my teeny balcony. My passion is raising Monarchs... I am also tending to some Verbenas and Lantanas as well as a Buddleia.

A friend gave me a bucket full of worm castings. I saw a posting here a while back about using it for foliar spray and tea. Anyone have details or should I just swing it?

Also, I've sucked in the past at container gardening but so far so good. The only thing I see that concerns me slightly is a little lighter pigment in the leaves of the Buddleia and Incarnata - not the whole leaf but edges of the Buddleia and 'speckling' in the inner leaf of the Incarnata. Any thoughts?

I have not applied any fertilizers yet although part of my mix had a bit of granular fertilizer.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm Castings tea and foliar spray query...

Welcome to container gardening. Much of your gardening experience growing in the ground will have to be relearned as you find it does not apply when growing in containers. You have found the right place for getting the help needed. The use of compost and compost tea and worm castings, though still useful will be used a little different. The leaves of your plants are telling you their needs are not being met. The container plant is completely dependent on everything needed being provided by the gardener, with no reserves being available from the ground. All you need is available on this site. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here