Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MG Fertilizer additions

Posted by Joe1980 WI 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 20:01

Ok, so I have a box of the 24-8-16 miracle grow, that has everything but calcium, magnesium, and sulfur. I use FP 9-3-6 for my houseplants and such, but for the annuals outside, I'd rather not waste my FP. So, to make Miracle Grow complete, I need calcium, magnesium, and sulphur. Can I add gypsum and espom salts right to the water to accomplish this? Gypsum is calcium sulfate, and epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, so with this combo, would I be adding all three? If this is feasable, how much per gallon would I be looking to add??

For what its worth, I have some things in 5-1-1, which does have the lime, so I should be good there, but some are still in nursury pots with who knows what for soil. I also have my bonsai trees, but they are in gritty mix, and pampered with Foliage Pro rain water. I just want to make use of the MG I have, and if it works good, it would be a low cost fertilizer plan for the not-so-important hanging baskets and annuals. Thanks!

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MG Fertilizer additions

Joe, from what I recall, you would add a single dose of Gypsum - scratched in? -
and then add an 1/8 to a 1/4 teaspoon Epsom Salts to your fertilizer when mixing.

Josh

o

I set up a container garden using poting soil. The garden using only tomato fertilizer and gysum for the Ca. The MG has a little Mg so no problems. As long as you have the primary and secondary macro and basic micro nutrients your plants will grow.

o

The gypsum would ideally be mixed into the entire soil volume at 1 Tbs per gallon, while the epsom salt would be added to your water at 1/4 tsp per gallon. Pretty much any peat/bark based mix will be limed, so there may not be any need to supplement unless the soil is quite old. If the plants are not important enough to warrant using "the good stuff," then I'd just wait and see if they develop any nutrient deficiencies. In all likelihood they'll be fine without the gypsum/epsom.

o

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll not worry about it too much then. When I originally made my gritty mix, I was under the assumption I needed gypsum and epsom salts, but because I use Foliage Pro, apparently I bought some epsom salt to collect dust in the shed now. I did add gypsum to my gritty mix though, but know I gather I don't need it.

Joe

o

Does the FP 9-3-6 have enough calcium for veggies? Or do would you still need to add Calcium?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here