Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brussel Sprouts (again!) - picture

Posted by ditnc 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 20:02

Am I correct that these little nublets at the beginning of the leaf branches are the part of the plant one eats?
Brussel Sprout edible part?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brussel Sprouts (again!) - picture

yes

o
RE-: Brussel Sprouts (again!) - picture

I should add that the entire plant (maybe not the roots) are edible. Some use the leaves in soups/stir fries and such.

However, the little nubs are the actual sprouts.

o

Those little nubs should reach about golf ball size by harvest. I think you are a little late in the season, as they tend to bolt in warm weather. Like lettuce they get bitter when bolting. Al

o

Thanks for the responses. Boy, these sure are some slow growing veggies!

o

Late for Zone 7/9 or just late in general? My Brussel Sprouts are only about 8 inches high right now (CT Zone 5b). I've read they should be harvested just after the first frost in the fall. Did I miss something?

o

not sure about their flowering in cooler zones, maybe in the warmer zones. I have never seen one flower in Wisconsin and to get them to harvest size before they stop growing due to short days/cold weather I start them from seed indoors, put them out in mid spring (April) and harvest in Sept-Oct depending on the year.

o

Ack, do not fear. We ate most of our brussel sprouts last year in July and August. (Up a half zone from you.) Warning though, when the hot hazy days of summer hit, and no rain came, @#$%#$% squirrels took to eating the stem of one of our brusssel sprouts. They also feasted on our fig tree (12" tall, so maybe "sapling?"), love our tomatoes and dig (literally) sweet potatoes. lol If your squirrels aren't into eating your garden, don't worry. If they are - protect! Looks like your getting home-grown brussel sprouts! Congratulations!

o

In California where they are an export crop, they are grown along the summer foggy coast. Al

o

This is the first year I have grown sprouts and I have been getting a good crop. This plant I planted a little later than the rest but he is doing something kinda weird...
I am questioning whether this is really a Brussels sprouts or a broccoli? Or something else all together?
I am thinking maybe this IS a brussels sprouts but it is bolting due to the wacky weather we have had in san Diego this year. If you have a chance, please check out my pic and tell me what you think. Thanks. Happy growing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here to see my photo of possibly bolting Brussels Sprouts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here