Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about planting

Posted by jennypat Zone 3b NW MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 20:18

I have a rex begonia that needs repotting. I plan on putting it outside for the summer, then bring it in the house for the winter. What type of soil should I use?

I also have a couple of old fashioned christmas cactus that need repotting, same question, what type of soil should I use?

Jenny P

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about planting

There are many schools of thought when it comes to container mediums, but in my opinion, and since growing in containers is so different than growing in the ground, I approach it from a more inorganic angle. I mix my own container mediums using the basic recipes found at the link I'm including below.

It's not very complicated, at all, and it's so much healthier for container plants to have a more durable, aerated, free draining soil. It promotes incredibly healthy root growth, and without healthy roots that can function properly, our plants can't grow anywhere near their potential.

Give the article a read... I think you'll be glad you did, even if you don't decide to mix your own medium. The article helps to dispel some commonly thought myths, and gives a lot of very solid scientific information in easy to understand terms.

If, after reading, you still have any questions, we'd be happy to help answer them for you. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention 13

o
RE: Question about planting

Thanks Jodi, that link was very helpful, but I still don't know if I should use the 511 or the gritty mix for these plants. The begonia will be both outdoors where it will need more water retention, and indoors.

The christmas cactus is just indoors,and I am leaning toward the gritty mix for them. Especially since my DH tends to overwater all my house plants.

Jenny P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here