Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about screening granite for gritty mix.

Posted by LIG-LifeIsGood 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 20:21

I am finally making my first batch of gritty mix after reading about it for quite awhile. I screened the Turface using window screen and I then screened the Gran-I-Grit "Growers" size thru 1/8" screen. A large portion of the granite went thru the 1/8" screening and now I am wondering if I should have also screened it using the window screen instead of the 1/8" screen. I have searched a lot of threads looking for the answer but so far have not been able to find this issue addressed.

Thanks - Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about screening granite for gritty mix.

Update to original posting:

I retrieved the portion of the granite that went thru the 1/8" screen and ran it thru the window screening and voila-almost nothing went thru the window screen.

So it looks like approx. 1/4 of the Gran-I-Grit "Growers" granite is in the size range between 1/16" and 1/8". Do I use the sub 1/8" portion in the gritty mix?

Also I have read several threads where someone has mentioned rinsing the granite. Do you normally rinse before adding the granite to the gritty mix and if so does this cause any problems if the gritty mix is then stored in a plastic container?

Sorry if these questions have been addressed elsewhere - I am almost positive that they must have, but for the life of me I have searched and searched and not been able to find the answers.

Connie

o
RE: Question about screening granite for gritty mix.

Hi Connie ,

Don't ever worry about asking questions!!!

Not a problem for most of us...

I like to use a strainer from the kitchen dept at Walmart that has the same small holes as the insect screen. These are easy to find and very easy to use. Just put your grit in swirl it around and you should be find then add to the Turface and bark, then you can store. I also like to store this way and when I'm ready to use, I will moisten the mix before I pot up.

If you would like to rinse before you use the grit that will be fine too. It will be fine. Just let it dry out before you store if .. Especially if it is covered.

Just remember that the Turface need to be screened a little more because it has more fines than the grit.

Hope this helps.. If you need a pic of my strainers.. Just ask!!!

Good luck!!

Laura

This post was edited by loveplants2 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 12:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here