Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Much Fertilizer Should I Use?

Posted by ehsteve 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 20:21

I'm new to container gardening and am looking for advice on how much fertilizer I should use.

I am currently growing tomatoes and peppers in ~7 gallon containers. I am using Miracle Grow tomato Food, it's 10:10:10 with some other nutrients too.

I was adding approx 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water each week, then just using regular water for a mid-week watering. Now that the plants are all producing pretty heavily I've upped the fertilizer to 1 teaspoon twice a week.

Is this too much or too little? How will I know if I'm using too much?

Frankly I have no idea what quantity of fertilizer I should use, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Much Fertilizer Should I Use?

If the plants look great, just keep doing what you are doing. I like experimenting a little with fertilizer. This year I used more than I usually do and my tomato plants are growing better than ever.....large dark green plants with lots of tomatoes.

o

Dear ehsteve,

If your getting good results ( fruit not just foliage) stick with it. I used the MG 10-10-10 for afew years and was always frustrated. Switched to a 9-3-6 this year and getting splendid production, considering the difficulties with Houston climate.

Many and extensive disscussions about fertilizer for container veggies on this forum and the Tomato Growing forum. Search 9-3-6

Good luck

o

Plants will tell you. I've actually been changing things up using CRF fertilizers for base nutrient levels, and then use additional fertilizers to bring it up to luxury levels. It's less work, and heavy rain doesn't empty plants of all their nutrients. I wouldn't suggest using this method in an arid area where fertigation is probably the best course, but for an area that gets lots of rain, and bark chips are less then well composted, this method works great. I prefer 3-1-2 ratio early, then less nitrogen for fruiting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here