Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
screening fines or not?

Posted by susieqz none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 20:23

anybody know what happens if you make 5-1-1 with a wide range of bark sizes? i don't mind doing the screening, but it just seems wasteful to toss the big pieces.

or, can larger pieces be saved for gritty mix?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: screening fines or not?

As long as the variation in the bark piece size is between 1/2" down to dust, you're ok. You can use it all in the mix.

o

thank you ed.

susie

o

No need to toss it...use the pieces large pieces that get screened out to mulch the garden. Agree that the 1/2" screen works well.

o

What type of screen are you using?

o

oh, i ended up just hand picking the biggest pieces. the resultant mix looks pretty good. i was using reptibark for this batch, i have 2 other types of bark with less consistant sizes.

they are lower cost, so, i'm willing to take some loss.

i'm still curious as to what happens if you leave bigger pieces in.

what exactly is too big and what happens if you use larger pieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here