Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does this 5-1-1 mix I just made look good?

Posted by greentoe357 z7b Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 20:28

I used two different kinds of pine bark particles for the 5 parts in the 5-1-1 mix in about 50/50 proportion, one composted fine particles and another uncomposted larger particles - the latter I actually ran through a blender (yes, really :-) and broke some particles by hand, too. For pictures of these ingredients pre-mixing and pre-blender, see this: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0616234711247.html.

The perlite I used was finer than I'd want - I needed to use up the Miracle-Gro perlite bag, and I actually ran out, so the mix is just a bit light on perlite. I'll add some coarse perlite when my Espoma bag arrives.

It also looks to me like the mix is underweight on the larger bark particles. The composted bark was too fine and it looked and felt just a bit coarser than peat. Do composted fine bark particles retain water the way peat does? If so, looks like I'll need to add quite a lot of uncomposted larger bark particles.

Do you agree with all the above? Any other ideas to improve the mix?

I did add dolomitic lime but no controlled release fertilizer - will fertilize with Foliage-Pro alone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does this 5-1-1 mix I just made look good?

it looks like the mix you made will enhance uneven drying out process.

It seems to have too many fine particles and a few big pieces that will gravitate towards the top as the finer stuff settles towards the bottom and staying wet far longer than the top.

o
RE: does this 5-1-1 mix I just made look good?

IMO I like it. The dime shows me that the largest particles aren't too large. Looks like you will have decent drainage and good water retention which will be key if you want to grow thirsty tomato plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here