Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not happy with my drainage

Posted by lovefirst17 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 20:42

Here we are again. I have some sta-green potting mix that I used for a pot in pot. The actual pot has MG in it the surround potting mix is Sta-green. I just don't think the MG is draining well despite my wicking and half-burying. I didn't want to, but I think repotting might be a good way to go.

Or maybe not. My plants are growing, looking healthier than at first (after I impeded the slug assault) although my pepper leaves are looking a little sad. I otherwise have tomatoes and strawberries. My herbs are doing just fine in MG but they're in smaller clay pots versus the plastic pots my veggies and berries are growing in.

Or maybe they're draining just fine and they just need to be water less often. I used a plastic knife to go all the way to the bottom (whoops cut a root eek) and the soil is moist but not sloppy or muddy. It is a little compacted though.

Next year I'm going with Al's mix all the way. This is a year of learning for me.:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not happy with my drainage

L...you and I are both learning about the importance of fast draining soil. At least we finally learned! haha

o

Half-burying? Maybe I am misunderstanding, but doesn't half burying impede drainage and raise the perched water level?

o

It was my understanding if I buried the potted plants into a regular bed (keeping the drainage holes of course) the earth below would help the water in the containers to continue their downward travel. Via capillary action. Right Al?

o

By half burying what you are doing is plugging the bottom of the pot and preventing drainage. By burying a container you now have a raised bed and not a container, and have actually decreased the size of the container and raised your perched water level. You were on the right track with the wick and less watering.

This post was edited by edweather on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 9:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here