Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alynne68

Balcony ecosystem

alynne68
9 years ago

I have lived in a condo with a west facing balcony in DC for 13 years now. For the first few years I planted whatever looked pretty and threw away what didn't work.

6 years ago I discovered Chiliplants.com and started growing things I really care about. And I started to learn.

3 years ago I discovered this forum. The knowledge and support have been invaluable.

Last year I had a weird critter on my plants and posted a picture here. Turns out it was a lady bug larva. I was told to keep it. I did. I took every lady bug I found and put it in my plants. This year I have a healthy crop of both larvae and lady bugs. And many less aphids.

I was also told to "squish" as opposed to spraying with poison. Got over my ewwies. Now the squishing is a good solution to the work stresses.

I sit outside on the weekends and watch the coming and the going of various wasps, bees and creatures and just want to know what they are doing. It is fascinating.

I have more life here on the 3rd floor than ever before because I am growing to my area and temperature.

I guess I just want to thank everyone on this forum for the info and support. You can grow things you never thought possible if you learn. And I am still learning.

Thank you all,
Alison

Comment (1)