Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urbangardener73

Blueberry from Seed in Pot of course

urbangardener73
17 years ago

Dear All,

I am going to try this crazy thing, blueberry from seeds in a pot.

Do anyone know how? Advice please.

I would not be able to buy one as I am not in the States.

Thank You!

Regards,

Urban Gardener

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    17 years ago

Urban, it's rather time consuming, and do you have the right climate for growing the shrubs? They do need a cool period in winter to develop both leaf and flower buds. Also, most commercial bearing plants are grown from cuttings, but -

Clean seeds of pulp, sow outdoors in light (so barely cover, or cover with a light layer of grit), acidic medium (as for rhododendron), germination in 365 days or longer after a range of temperatures. Many times alternating room temps with your refrigerator will encourage germination sooner on similar seeds, but I don't find that either recommended or find the specific timing for blueberry.

• username_5
    17 years ago

I have never attempted to grow blueberry from seed, but I have found the baggy method to dramatically increase germination speed of slow to germ seeds.

Baggie method for those who don't know is to place seeds in moist coffee filter, fold up and place in plastic, sealable baggie such as ziplock baggies.

For seeds requiring cold, just pop them in the fridge.

Having said that, morz8 is correct that you may not have a climate suitable for blueberry in Singapore. What are winters like in your area? Are you using seeds from fruit you purchased? If so it would help to know where they originated as that would give you an idea of the climate they were grown in.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

There are a number ofl blueberry varieties bred in Florida, California, Australia, and New Zealand (eg., "Sunshine Blue" or "Sharp Blue", etc., which are southern highbush or rabbiteye types) that require little chilling ("Sunshine Blue" is one that claims only 150 hours).

Here is an example of some of the varieties available in the U.S. Here is a list of some New Zealand varieties, and info from Australia. Those latter 2 countries have been working on getting blueberry production in warm subtropical/tropical climates and developing varieties for those areas.

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

UrbanGardener,

I just love to hear what you are going to grow next! It gives me such a big smile to think of this grand garden, with corn and pumpkins and blueberries and tomatoes on a balcony somewhere in Singapore. You are certainly adventurous and that is to be admired.

Good luck and keep us posted. Any photos?
    Patty

• urbangardener73
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank GardenWeb Folks

Patty I will post my pics when my balcony looks right enough, now, it is still quite bare after I moved to my new house.

My net melon is now 1 foot wish me luck :>

Will try the refridgerator method for the blueberries.

Cheers!

Wish me luck.

Regards,
    Urban Gardener

• preppystud
    15 years ago

i actually had two blueberry seeds germinated in a pot that i put at the window sill. they are super tiny. i don't know if they will ever grow bigger. i hope so.