Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soggy roots no drainage?

Posted by SusanPotter northern Alberta (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 21:14

NOVICE condo gardener potted about 6 pots (plastic)with no drainage 2 weeks ago.
Now I find out this is a real no no.
I believe I read somewhere that placing several straws into the mix could solve the problem or I could turn them on their sides and make some cuts on the bottom.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to repot because I think it will just add to the time it will take to get these plants growing. If not, can I pull everything out and repot without disturbing the growth???

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soggy roots no drainage?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 21:20

Heat the head of a large nail while holding it with a pair of pliers & poke it through the bottom of the pot while still hot enough to melt the plastic. If you used a heavy soil, you may benefit from poking more than 1 hole in the bottom & pushing a wick into the hole to help even more water find its way out of the pot.

Al

o
RE: soggy roots no drainage?

I'd grab a cordless drill, pop a 3/8" bit in it, and carefully drill 4 evenly spaced holes around the outter ring of the bottom of the pot. Be sure to make the holes in the lowest point of the pot if they aren't flat on the bottom.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here