Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with growing flowers in containers

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 21:29

I primarily use container gardening for growing veggies and herbs. I am wondering how many flower plants can be grown in a 10 gallon container or 24" pot.

The varieties I plan on growing are listed below...

Cosmos (spread of 12"-18" and height of 18"-24")
Zinnia
Marigold (dwarf variety)

sunflower (small variety that can be grown in flower pot, I'm going to guess it'll reach about 12" tall)

Bachelor's button

I could really use advice on this as the only reason I'm growing flowers is for food for pollinators. I've never grown them before and am a novice with flower gardening.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with growing flowers in containers

me a novice too with flowers, but I say cram them in there and you can always pull or trim as needed but they look good crammed when the colour comes :)

BZ

o
RE: help with growing flowers in containers

I concur with bitzppa.

I knock them out of the nursery pots and jam them in side by side (especially with annuals) as long as you water and feed enough they will be fine.

It depends on what you are intending to attract. Bees and butterflies can squeeze into some tight spots, I like to plant my hummingbird pots a little sparse, so the little dearies can get at all the blooms, not just the outside ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here