Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with creating my vegetable garden

Posted by Greenpointer 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 21:33

Hi

I'm fairly new to this form but I have experience in both planted aquariums and traditional gardening. I live in Brooklyn, NY, and I have a tiny yard.. Real tiny.

I decided to grow some vegetables this year, I hope I am not too late. I wish to use 5 gallon buckets as SWC system( I have 7 5gl buckets right now that I got for free) I want to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, red, yellow, and green peppers. I will use HD (homedepot) varieties this year, but I hope to upgrade to more interesting ones next year.

I want to create some kind of automatic watering system. Maybe using a reservoir with a powerhead (water pump)

Questions:
1. Is it too late to grow in my area?
2. which potting soil mix, I would love to make it myself of course, should I use? I have a vermi-compost going so I have hummus available...
3. Fertilizers - which should I use?
4. Auto-system - any suggestions?
5. I wish to avoid using two buckets each for the SWC. Any good, easy, and cheap plans for doing that?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with creating my vegetable garden

If your going to get any crops, you need to start ASAP
5 parts pine bark.1 part each of perlite and peatmoss
I use MG for toms ,many use Foliage Pro 9-3-6
Check into drip irrigation
SWC require 2 buckets
Just wondering you say you want SWC ,but then want an auto system .

o
RE: Help with creating my vegetable garden

Hi Dickifickle,

Thanks for the info.

As far as I understand in terms of SWC - I do need to fill it up with water every couple of days... I was thinking about creating a "self-filling" system.

Another question - I have a vermicompost going (worm composting) so I have a lot of "vermicast" / worm casting.. Can I use it in this setup? or maybe as a fertilizer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here