Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato leaf curl? (pic)

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 21:37

Most of my tomato plants have some leaf curl. I've read that it could be from too hot, cold, wet, or dry conditions. About all I can eliminate is too cold. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ironically....I had 1 plant left over, and on a whim I made a SWC for it from two 5 gal buckets. It's doing better than any other plant...go figure.

On a side note...could the light green leaves indicate a need for more fertilizer? Thanks.

Photobucket">

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato leaf curl? (pic)

I'm by no means an expert, but I remembered reading about discolorations in a book I just got on Terrace (Balcony) Gardening so I looked it up. Sorry-not much on curling that I could recall or find.
The three types of discoloration listed are yellowing between veins, general poor health and new leaves misshapen/discolored. I can't tell from the photo which might be more likely so I'll give what it says on each.
For yellow between veins, she mentions the cause could be mineral or trace element deficiency, or insufficient oxygen around roots. Solutions would be to add fertilizer or organic material, and to lighten the soil mix for better air circulation.
The only cause listed for general poor health is malnutrition, thus the solution would be fertilizer or fresh organic metter.
She lists three causes for new leaf deformations or discolorations. The first is malnutrition, the second is poor light and the third is viruses. The first two have obvious solutions. For viral issues in tomatoes the solution is probably more harmful than the problem, so I'd either let them be or throw them out and try again.

FYI The book I'm pulling all this from is The Terrace Gardener's Handbook by Linda Yang.

o

Nitrogen deficiency

Growth dwarfed, thin and upright habit; stem and petioles rigid; leaves pale green, occasional purplish tints, older leaves yellowing.

o

I would fertilize a bit more and stay on top of the watering. Looks like pretty course soil so it drains and dries out fast.

Damon

o

Thanks. I'm going to up the fertilizer and water. It has been warm, sunny, and dry for the last few weeks. Luxurious problems!! Now that the plants are getting some size, they drink a lot and the medium is very fast draining. I'm not too worried, they are growing well, and have lots of blossoms. I've never over fertilized a plant "yet." My only 5 gal SWC has a full cup of fertilizer around the top rim, and that plant looks really good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here