Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand new to citrus trees and need help on a few topics!!

Posted by alexaflatooni Wa (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 21:52

Hi Everyone,

A lot of great information is on this site, and I decided if anyone knew what to do it would be you!

So I have read through a few feeds and am now confused! My main issue is what soil to use? There are a few mixes that look fantastic the Al's mixes and a CHC mix. But now i am completely confused which one to use? I am stuck between Al's 7-1-1 mix(i think) and a 1-1-1 gritty mix. As well as which material is actually used in the mix, because there are so many different varieties out there now. Hope to hear from you guys soon! Oh and also which type of pot works best with citrus trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand new to citrus trees and need help on a few topics!!

Most of us planting citrus in a container are planing on fruit which will take years. We need a mix that will not breakdown and fail to drain after a year or two. Any of Al's mixes will work well. The gritty mix will be the longest lasting. It will also require the most frequent water and fertilizer attention. Are you willing to take the responsibility? We see a lot of container planted citrus here that are being starved, and generally neglected. Most of us use a 18 to 24 inch clay container which provides a lot of stability. If you use the gritty mix the weight of the mix alone provides much stability. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here