Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Container-er

Posted by MFIX Buff-NY Z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 21:59

Hi all,

Relatively new to container growing, and just wanted to know about overwintering perennials in containers. I have a peony that was given to me, and had nowhere to put it in our garden, so we put it in a container and it has really taken off! I am building two new, large beds as part of a patio structure, and Im not sure I will have enough time to acclimate it to the new beds. My question is, how does one overwinter a perennial in a container? Outside? I live in Buffalo, NY, so we do have low temps. Or, can I keep it in the garage while dormant in the winter? My current pots are all very durable plastic, so I am unsure of the risk of ice heaving and breaking them. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Container-er

The garage may work, or if possible, you can bury the pot to protect it from freezing, and let the snow do the insulating.

o
RE: New Container-er

• Posted by MFIX Buff-NY Z5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 10:46

Garage may be the way to go. Our ground usually freezes in winter (though this last winter was our warmest ever) so burying the pot may prove problematic, and we also have heavy clay soil in my subdivision, so it may be a really hard proposition. Thank for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here