Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growincitrus

Excuse me, Al's Gritty Mix 1-1-1 question

GrowinCitrus
11 years ago

Hi,

I have obtained all the ingredients for Al's Gritty Mix (1-1-1) just so you know I do mean gritty. I have a few questions, some of which may be kinda "duh", but I am new to this so I don't care what people think of my questions..I wan't to get this right the first time :) Okay, here they are:

1. Can I even transplant my INDOOR dwarf citrus at this time of year? Bear with me, but do tree's have an "internal timer" that will still react to the season's occuring outdoors?

2. If I should have all parts as close to 1/8 as possible, would I use a 1/8 screen or insect screen?? lol I would think if I wanted 1/8 size particles, then using 1/8 screen would allow the exact size pieces I want to fall through. How should I conduct this screening process....screen is what I have yet to buy, can I stick with one main screen size to sift everything?? If not, in what size order do I screen??

3. My mom has plants indoors, and some do have fungus gnats on a medium to small scale. Let's assume our apartment never get's rid of them, would they stay away from my citrus in a properly made gritty mix?

4. Most importantly my 5 gal size dwarf citrus is in nursery mix, how should I go about rinsing off, soaking?, pruning??, and transplanting "Mandy" (lol) ??? I do have foliage pro, what point should I use that after transplant?? Whew...thanks for all who share input!!! :)

Citrus Mistress, hahha, jk jk, just Nikki

Comments (2)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

1) All plants have rhythms (search endogenous/circadian) that control how they react throughout the growth cycle, the primary stimulus being photoperiod. My plants in the basement, with only 1 small window at the far end and growing under timed lights, 'know' when the spring equinox has arrived, because that's when they begin to grow in earnest. It's possible to trick a plant into ignoring what would be its natural rhythm by very closely controlling photoperiod, but it's not easy.

Your citrus tree will grow in spurts. You can repot at the end of a growth spurt if you wish, but it's better to repot in April. Still, with the cool temperatures we've been having here in MI, it wouldn't be too far off the mark if you hurried and repotted now.

2) Screen your Turface MVP over insect screen and use the fines for something else. Screen the crushed granite or cherrystone over insect screen to remove the dust. For bark, use what passes a 3/8 screen (1/2 is ok if you can't find 3/8) and what doesn't pass a 1/8 screen.

3) Yes

4) Saw off the bottom half of the root mass, then cut 2-3 pie-shaped wedges into the remaining roots that will eliminate half of what remains. Next spring, you will remove the other half of the roots by removing the wedges that remain, then skip a couple of years.

Zone 5b, eh? What city/town do you live in/near?

Al

• GrowinCitrus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Al!
    So you think I can get away with repotting? I don't know if it makes a difference, but it does have very little green mandarins on it... Anywho, it seems like people are using 1/8 screen and 3/8 screen interchangeably for "hardware cloth". I went to ACE and they are making a 1/8 harware cloth sifter for me (the gentleman was so kind!). I found a colander/strainer that I held up to my insect screen and it's the same size tiny squares, will these two screens take care of my needs or should I get another screen size as well when I go back to ACE tomorrow?
    I am planning on soaking my Repti Bark for an hour before mixing it in, is that correct? And then how many days/hours/weeks before applying Foliage Pro (and how much of it per ???)
    I live towards Grand Rapids/Comstock Park area. How bout you?
    Alright, holy cow look at the time! Hittin the hay, have a good night~ Nikki