Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppermint castile soap for aphids?

Posted by lexie1397 z8. OR (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 22:16

Hi all,

After doing a little weeding in my balcony garden, I discovered I have aphids. I've always heard the old drop of dishsoap in a spray bottle trick.

#1 does it actually work?
#2 I use organic castile soap for nearly everything around the house but it's scented with peppermint oil. Is that safe for the plants or should I pick up a small bottle of traditional dishsoap? (Mostly flowers but a tomato plant and a couple other edibles as well)
#3 Would the addition of diatomaceous earth be harmful? I spray it regularly on the carpet to keep the dog free of fleas with very good luck.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppermint castile soap for aphids?

I dont know for a fact but it should be fine for the palnts. I never use dish soap but I do use a piece of bar soap. Bar soap seems to work better with plants.

o

Many, many years ago I used that as an insecticide on some of my veggies, and it seemed to at least slow them down. Here's a post I found about Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap:

"As a preventative mix 1 tablespoon Dr Bronner's Peppermint soap per quart water. Spray on vegetables on a regular bases or first sign of trouble. On specific pests mix 5 tablespoons per quart water. Test first on plant/bug to see if it is too strong or not strong enough."

With aphids, I usually just use a strong spray with water from the hose.

o

I got a little over-zealous with the soap and DE, but it's threatening to rain so some should get washed off in the next day or so.

Unfortunetly I don't have access to a hose... it's all hand-watering (and rain) for me! I could drag each pot into the bathtub for a hose-down but with all the rain we've had recently I think they would just rot.

MasterGardener-How do you use bar soap on your plants? Just rub them down with it, or mix into solution? If you rub it on, how do you get in all the nooks and crannies without damage?

o

Shave chunks of the soap into the spray container and spray. Just did it today on my peppers to get rid of some aphids.

o

How does using the Castile soap affect bees during pollination?

o

I've used a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap in a quart of water, along with Neem Oil,
and it beat back an infestation of Spider Mites. Repeat applications are required, of course.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here