Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have slugs :(

Posted by lovefirst17 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 22:21

I've put a perimeter of cedar oil granules and beer traps. They're still gnawing stuff up. I can't put more beer traps out and I can't seem to find diatomaceous earth. Copper also seems to be MIA and I've read mixed reviews anyway.

Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have slugs :(

Never tried this but I read somewhere that putting down some wet sheets of cardboard in the evening may help. The slugs like to congregate under the moist cardboard at night. You then can come in the early morning and collect the cardboard and slugs.

Good luck,
Dan

o

Sluggo is a great product. Organic and also effective very quickly. I also like Sluggo Plus, but I've really only used it for slugs.

o

I just found Sluggo and diatamaceous earth. Can I use the Sluggo in my veggie pots or does it need to form a perimeter on the ground.

o

You can use Sluggo in your veggie garden. Read the labels of everything you apply to your yard and gardens....Sluggo clearly states that it can be used around veggies and other edibles.

o

I did read it. My question is can I put it IN the veggie pots or does it need to be AROUND the pot forming a perimeter

o

I have the same issue :-) PNW slugs are fabled plus I've got snails that would make a gourmet drool with delight!! I can control these creatures on inground plantings but containers are more difficult. First, the containers themselves pose no deterrant at - they just slime their way to the top. And they often never touch the soil at all but immediately latch on to any overhanging foliage.

While I do dust the potting soil liberally with the Sluggo, I also sprinkle it around the perimeters of the containers themselves. And that seems to be helping. I also hunt the culprits down during the day when I can - they like to hide from the sun and heat under the foliage in the containers and under any lips on the containers themselves.

o

I put slug magic (with the same ingredient as sluggo: iron phosphate) right in my containers. It's not only safe and effective, it actually provides a little nutrition to the plants. No more wasting beer on the enemy for me.

o

Aha! I found some places they like to hang out. I've also collected about 30 of the, in three days, for the garbage. And the diatemaceous earth has really been working. Here's hoping!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here