Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5-1-1 vs gritty mix newbe to potting mixes

Posted by steven1032 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 22:55

i have red over in the pepper forum there is a 5-1-1 the only difference betwee the gritty mix and 511 is instead of using granite they use course perlite. what would the effects on plants be with the two different mixes? is one better than the other? has anyone tried the different mixes? if you did, what was the outcome?
i have used orchid mix and maricle grow and they hold water drastically and it is hard to dry out. i am planning on keeping some pepper plants on the porch and i am looking for a potting mix that is well drained. i do not have a lot of expience with potting soils. please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5-1-1 vs gritty mix newbe to potting mixes

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 11:57

Let me make a suggestion, please?

Follow the link I left below to gain a better understanding of the difference between the gritty mix and the 5:1:1 mix, and a better understanding of how water behaves in container soils. I think gaining an understanding of that (the water:air relationship in soils) is probably the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon - I'll take you to what he's talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here