Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini Death

Posted by Cardioprimadona Southern Nevada (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 22:57

Just last week my zucchini in a sub irrigation planter was pumping out zukes. I have it in an 18 gal container and realized it needed a lot more fertilizer since the soil level dropped 4 inches. It was a huge plant. It had some wilt issues but recovered and was doing well again.

I moved it to the courtyard to be in a cooler location since I have misting.

Seemed okay this morning...but completely gone this afternoon.

If anyone with Earthbox/ container experience can help me avoid this again...I'd be very appreciative.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini Death

looks like it got mildewed and drowned . prob not a good idea to mist any of that family.

what soil is in the pot ?

BZ

This post was edited by bitzppa on Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 10:11

o

Thanks, BZ. It did get drowned by a exploded sprinkler head about 10 days ago. The upper leaves recovered and I was being very careful to only put a quart of fertilizer on the roots at a time. But it would go through over 2 gallons of water a day from the reservoir.

I just got some shade cloth...as soon as I figure out how to rig it up on the patio it will help with those 110 degree days.

Potting soil...used Big Lot's Black Magic (gloried bark) that I amended with lime, coffee grounds, perlite etc. Then I added better quality potting soil with bat guano etc when the roots were showing under the plastic mulch...poor thing,,, it was starving. Monster size.

o

This is only my second year with zucchini in an earthbox, so I'm by no means an expert, but I'm confused when you say the soil level dropped four inches, and that you added a quart of fertilizer on the roots at a time. I've never noticed any major soil sinkage with earthboxes. The fertilizer added when an earthbox is set up should be sufficient for the season. Maybe earthtainers are different. My zucchini last year suffered from powdery mildew but it took a while for them to really go down hill, it wasn't an overnight sort of thing.

o

My containers are DIY subirrigation planters. Earthboxes are larger. It was only in an 18 gallon container...and part of that is for the reservoir. It grew at an enormous rate...so I figured it was going through nutrients to support that massive growth. It could have been just compacting of the soil...but there was no weight other than the actual plant on it.

Thanks for the input to my mystery, DSB22.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here