Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting collard greens

Posted by cacher (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 23:15

any tips on harvesting collard greens? Can these be used as needed? If so, do you cut from the bottom first? What size do the leaves need to be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting collard greens

You start from the bottom when those leaves are 2 hands in size and you have enough for a cooking. Next you wash them good then start cooking. when done have some cornbread to go with them and start eating, but PLEASE save me some lol.

o

I fear that collards harvested at this time of year may be bitter. In the south, they are planted so that the timing of the harvest coincides with some frosty temperatures. A frost seems to bring out the sugars. Please let us know how yours turn out.

o

All leafy greens I can only recommend harvesting by the leaf as needed. You can get so much more per plant this way.

Harvest the largest leaves first at the size you prefer to eat them.

o

I cut off the outer leaves and leave the ones in the middle to keep growing and producing. So far, I've only gotten one nice sized meal out of one plant that was beginning to see the ravages of cabbage moth larvae, but it's still growing and doesn't look to be ready to bolt any time soon (fingers crossed). They were a bit bitter, but I enjoyed it anyway, maybe solely because I was thrilled to be eating the collards before the larvae did.

o

Not to worry about bitter collards. I have a great recipe especially suited for those greens (turnips, kale, collards, rape, etc.) if they're a tad bitter:

Put a clean brick in the bottom of a large pot, fill with your choice of freshly cut greens, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Dump the water and repeat two times. On the third boil, add slab bacon, if desired, and S/P to taste. I like a bit of vinegar in the water, too.

After the water comes to a boil for this third and final time, drain the pot of water and greens......and eat the brick.

;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here