2nd try for picture of dish garden

susieque
17 years ago

I hope this works!

{{gwi:39884}}

Comments (9)

• tcharles26
    17 years ago

I guess it worked. If I am supposed to be looking at a picture of two totally unremarkable plants in a salad bowl. If I was supposed to see something cool it failed miserably.

• keekush2
    17 years ago

So pretty susieque! I love the color combo. I too am a huge fan of the sweet potato vine for color. Good job!

• phyllis__mn
    17 years ago

Very pretty combination. I've been putting different things with the sweet potato vines every year, and it's always rewarding.

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

What is the large green leaf? Is it Sweet Potato Vine (I saw someone mention it in one of the responses.) Just curious...when did you pot them, and how often have you been watering them? I'm always afraid of the smaller pots drying out before I can get to them.
    Thanks for the pictures.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

susiequeue - Last year, one of my sisters did an identical planting as that, but did it in a small plastic urn and put some dracena spikes in the middle (also I think she had a smaller pink & green coleus in there but towards the back):

{{gwi:36419}}

It really did nicely in a north-facing location!

Since the sweet potato vine grows pretty rampantly and trails, you might want to raise your "dish" (bowl) up on something to allow it to do that.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

nancyjeanmc - that green-leaf vine is probably the 'Margurite' (or similar names) variety of the sweet potato vine, which seems to be the most common one I've seen sold with that lime-green color. The most common dark-leafed one is usually 'Blackie' (this one needs a good amount of sun to maintain the dark color or it will start turning green if in shadier spots).

They do like water when they get to growing and will wilt pretty quick to let you know they're thirsty. But I think if you do plan to jam alot in with it, you might want to try some of those polymer crystal products (like Soilmoist) to hold moisture in the soil. These eventually form tubers, so don't be surprised when you go to pull them out at the end of the season and find a pot full of them!

• nancyjeanmc
    17 years ago

thanks, Jenny. I'm definitely a novice, but this whole web site gets me so excited to try!

• cave76
    17 years ago

That's a sweet display. I'm just learning to do pics myself and you done good!

• susieque
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm relieved that I have finally learned how to post a
    picture!! Thanks for all the nice comments! Jenny, the
    urn arrangement is so pretty! I would like to have a very big urn in which to put this mix of plants. They are very expensive, so I might have to improvise. I'm using one of those wooden barrel pots, but it isn't really big enough.
    Nancy, I planted the container garden about a month ago, and
    at that time, the plants were not too big. I bought the
    s. pot. vine and the coleus at Lowes. They were in 4-6 in.
    pots. I do know, for sure, that I need to raise it off
    the ground & repot very soon. Within the last couple of
    weeks, I decided to take out my large aquarium and I watered
    all my plants several times with the water. I had heard
    that plants like fish tank water! I would like to have
    room to plant a large caladium in the mix. They are one
    of my favorite plants.