Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

montmorency sour cherry as house plant

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

I am interested in growing a montmorency sour cherry as a houseplant. I would be growing it from seed. i have just picked the cherries and will be stratifying them for 3 months in my refrigerator. They will sprout in my refrigerator about september when I will have to plant them or they will die. My question is can I grow these tree indoor under CFL's all winter and next summer and into november without providing it the 800 hours chill they presumably need. to fruit. How long can I grow the trees with no cold weather. I would like to grow it as a houseplant till it is 8 feet tall at which time I will plant the tree out side and let nature do the rest. The cherry will get its winter chill and fruit the next year.

All my plants grow about 2 times faster in my growth chambers than they do out side in full summer sun. See pics

{{gwi:39904}}
!4 inches in 12 weeks with aluminum foil lined 5 gallon buckets with 13 watt CFL at 5300 K

{{gwi:39907}}
Potted meiwa kumquat tree from seed did 2/3 of is groth over winter in this bucket light setup.

{{gwi:25857}}
Pepper plants growing like weeds in 4 FT by 4 FT box with 12 CFL's from 13 to 18 watts

{{gwi:39911}}
16 broccoli plants get boost of a life time under 8 CFL's

I am getting old and I want my cherry tree to get sizeable faster before setting them out permanently.

Thanks for any advice you can give to help.

Comments (5)