Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
montmorency sour cherry as house plant

Posted by poncirusguy 6a high (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 23:35

I am interested in growing a montmorency sour cherry as a houseplant. I would be growing it from seed. i have just picked the cherries and will be stratifying them for 3 months in my refrigerator. They will sprout in my refrigerator about september when I will have to plant them or they will die. My question is can I grow these tree indoor under CFL's all winter and next summer and into november without providing it the 800 hours chill they presumably need. to fruit. How long can I grow the trees with no cold weather. I would like to grow it as a houseplant till it is 8 feet tall at which time I will plant the tree out side and let nature do the rest. The cherry will get its winter chill and fruit the next year.

All my plants grow about 2 times faster in my growth chambers than they do out side in full summer sun. See pics

HARDY CHICAGO FIG MWITH BUCKET GROW SYSTEM DISASSEMBLE FOR VEIWING photo IMG_3355_zpsb32bf108.jpg
!4 inches in 12 weeks with aluminum foil lined 5 gallon buckets with 13 watt CFL at 5300 K

KUMQUAT GROWER COMPONENTS--POTTED TREE TO LEFT--ROOT VACUUM CHAMBER TO RIGHT USES VACUUM CLEANER--- -  TREE GET PLACED IN STEEL CAN AND VACUUM HOSE GOES IN HOLE IN LOWER CAN photo IMG_3594_1_zps8cf4e968.jpg
Potted meiwa kumquat tree from seed did 2/3 of is groth over winter in this bucket light setup.

1:   4 X 4 X 2 FT HOT-BOX WITH PEPPERS UNDER COMP. FLOUR. LIGHTS---ABOVE THIS;  PLANTS NEEDING ROOT HEAT ARE GROWN--TEMPS HERE RUN ABOUT 90 DEG AND SEEDS GERMINATE FAST-- CITRUS ROOTS GROW WELL photo IMG_3597_1_zps2877c51c.jpg
Pepper plants growing like weeds in 4 FT by 4 FT box with 12 CFL's from 13 to 18 watts

4)---16 brocoli plant in 1 gal. cans under 8 lights of 650 lumens, Above, Meiwa kumquat tree's roots are warmed by lights to 85 deg. photo IMG_3691_zpsd744827b.jpg
16 broccoli plants get boost of a life time under 8 CFL's

I am getting old and I want my cherry tree to get sizeable faster before setting them out permanently.

Thanks for any advice you can give to help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: montmorency sour cherry as house plant

THIS IS TO SEND THIS LINK TO THE BOTTOM. I WILL REWORD THE QUESTION. TO BE MORE WHAT I AM TRYING TO ASK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here