Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

montmorency sour cherry as house plant

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

I am interested in growing a montmorency sour cherry as a houseplant. I would be growing it from seed. i have just picked the cherries and will be stratifying them for 3 months in my refrigerator. They will sprout in my refrigerator about september when I will have to plant them or they will die. My question is can I grow these tree indoor under CFL's all winter and next summer and into november without providing it the 800 hours chill they presumably need. to fruit. How long can I grow the trees with no cold weather. I would like to grow it as a houseplant till it is 8 feet tall at which time I will plant the tree out side and let nature do the rest. The cherry will get its winter chill and fruit the next year.

All my plants grow about 2 times faster in my growth chambers than they do out side in full summer sun. See pics

{{gwi:39904}}
!4 inches in 12 weeks with aluminum foil lined 5 gallon buckets with 13 watt CFL at 5300 K

{{gwi:39907}}
Potted meiwa kumquat tree from seed did 2/3 of is groth over winter in this bucket light setup.

{{gwi:25857}}
Pepper plants growing like weeds in 4 FT by 4 FT box with 12 CFL's from 13 to 18 watts

{{gwi:39911}}
16 broccoli plants get boost of a life time under 8 CFL's

I am getting old and I want my cherry tree to get sizeable faster before setting them out permanently.

Thanks for any advice you can give to help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!