Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screen Sizes for Al's Gritty Mix

Posted by succulent_succotash 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 23:35

Hello, I am new gardening & this forum.

I've done many hours of research over the last few weeks to learn about Al's Gritty Mix, but didn't find all the information consolidated or definitive for screening.

I wanted to start a clean thread to discuss the sieve/screen sizes for every material in the gritty mix (1:1:1).

Based on my research, here is my conclusion. Can you let me know if this is correct?

Material & Screen Size
1. TURFACE MVP 1/8" or 1/16"
2. GRANITE 1/8" or 1/4"
3. BARK 1/4"

Turface Details
> Sift through 1/16" insect screen and keep what is left on TOP
(I've read you can also use a 1/8" sieve, but layering the 1/16" will help minimize waste.)

Granite Details
> For Gran-I-Grit No. 2 (3/16"): Sift through 1/8" and keep what is left on TOP; rinse to remove dust
> For A-1 Grit No. 5 (1/4"): Sift through 1/4" and keep what is left on BOTTOM (top will exceed 0.25" in size); rinse to remove dust
> For A-1 Grit No. 10 (1/8"): Sift through 1/8" and keep what is left on TOP; rinse to remove dust

Bark Details
> For Pine/Fir/Reptile Bark: Sift through 1/4" sieve and keep what is left on TOP; soak in water prior to use

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screen Sizes for Al's Gritty Mix

Almost exact! ;-)

The Fir bark is sifted through a 1/4" screen to keep what falls *through* - the bark material that is 1/4" or less is then sifted over either insect screen or an 1/8" sieve to remove the fine bark dust. Indeed, soak prior to use.

Josh

o

Thanks, Josh. I just realized my error and was going to make the edit, but you beat me to it ;)

To clarify, sift fine bark (pine/fir) through a 1/4" screen and keep what is on the BOTTOM. Then, sift again through 1/8" or 1/16" to remove the fine/dust. Then, you will keep what is on TOP.

Did I get that right?

o

Perfect!

Josh

o

Just a footnote ...
I read that, when using pine bark in the gritty mix, the size range could be increased to 3/8"-1/8". By doing that, I increased the usable portion of a 1 1/2 cu. ft. bag from 11 quarts to 19 quarts.

Not saying that will be the result with all pine bark products. Some brands will contain a higher proportion of pine bark fines; others will have a larger proportion of the small 'nuggets'; etc. It so happens that over 30% of the Jolly Gardener product I use was too large (over 1/4"). Increasing the size range to 3/8" cut that loss in half.

Given the low cost of pine (compared to Reptibark) and depending on how much gritty mix you use, increasing the size range may not be worth the time and effort. Of course, I'm one of those penny pinchers, so ... : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here